IHE / Education / Nuclear Power Engineering / History of the speciality

History of the speciality

 

 

The Faculty of Power and Aeronautical Engineering was the first in Poland, where a specialisation related to nuclear power engineering has been opened. It happened in 1959.

 

It has been carried out under different names - Nuclear Engineering, Nuclear Technologies, Nuclear Power Engineering - by the year 1992. The total number of graduates reached 170

 

Also, since 1959 post-graduate studies in the field of nuclear engineering have been carried out. Until 1989 about 500 students competed those studies.

 

 

In 2006, the Nuclear Power Engineering specialisation was re-opened.

In 2010, the post-graduate studies were reactivated (68 graduates till now).

 

Initially the specialization has been carried out within 3 semesters as a 2nd degree studies in English in collaboration with the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm. Then the duration of studies was extended to four semesters, and the language was changed to Polish.

 

A young, ambitious team of teachers and lecturers leads and develops research on contemporary and future reactors (Generation IV).